Thursday, May 5, 2011

Different Kinds of Therapy

Over the last few years, I have discovered that there are many different kinds of therapy that help me cope depending on what shitty situation life has thrown at me that day.

Coffee. This one has always been a pick me up, however I wasn't always able to indulge when I was doing the non-caffeine thing. For me, there is nothing better than sitting in a nice coffee shop, drinking a flavoured latte (I prefer skim milk vanilla) and reflecting on my day. Ahhh, pure heaven.

TV. I am somewhat addicted to television. I am sure I have mentioned once or twice that I have been religiously watching Young and the Restless since I was little. I feel like I grew up in Genoa City and it is really my happy place. I am also a huge Gleek! I just can't get enough of the songs and dance. I haven't seen this week's episode yet, however last week with the slogan T-shirts, I was amazed. I thought the idea of printing across your chest the one thing you would change about yourself was awesome. The final song to Born This Way when they were wearing the T-shirts was a truly powerful moment. I would also encourage you to get into is The Good Wife. I have loved Julianna since her days on ER and who doesn't love Mr. Big? So really, it has everything. And then there is are my favourite summer shows, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire and The Next Food Network Star!

Acupuncture/hypnosis/SJ. Never in a million years would I have thought that I, little miss Science and medicine based would find comfort in these things. FIrst is my SJ. I could not survive without her. Having a safe place to vent, cry and scream has been an amazing support for me. Last year when I literally couldn't pick myself up off the floor, she got me through. Currently she is helping keep a handle on my newest source of anxiety and I am truly grateful for the support and friendship she has shown me. Did I really put acupuncture as a therapy? I HATE needles, but there is something calming about my acupuncturist and her magic little sticks, I always seem to leave in a better place then when I started. And of course, there is my hypnosis CD. I was totally skeptical of this, but once I started listening, I just couldn't stop. I felt my anxiety going away and I was able to get through some difficult lining issue/transfer fear periods.

Shopping. Obviously I saved the best for last. In my darkest moments, I find comfort in stores. I am not addicted to buying, just the shopping experience. I am happy to go and help a friend pick out something, or my mom and now shopping for my niece has been super fun - another thing I NEVER thought I would be able to do. Last week my mom, sister and niece took me maternity clothes shopping across the boarder to try and lift my spirits. Although it didn't make me forget, I was able to have an enjoyable day and do A LOT of damage on the credit card. So I leave you with this picture of the change room from Des.tination Mat.ernity...and yes, I bought most of it!



So I ask you, what is your therapy that helps you get through the day?

-R.

10 comments:

  1. :) great post, looks like you had some good retail therapy over there, hope it did you some good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post highlights just how different people are; the things you mention don't help me at all (though I did enjoy a cup of frou-frou coffee--never black or strong--prior to TTC). I despise shopping and do it only when necessary, rarely watch TV, and didn't get much out of acupuncture.

    I do think it's so important to find what helps us when we need it. My "therapies" are reading an engaging book, talking with close friends or my sister, and petting/cuddling my golden retrievers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My therapy involves chatting on the phone and getting things crossed off my list. Every time I go to the doctor and get a good report, I feel better and more confident. I also enjoy puzzles and watching things from the DVR. Watching my fish and listening to the sound of the water is also soothing. I also like watching movies at home with my husband. And, of course, I love a shower.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sooo LOVE that you did damage on your credit card?! Hilarious...what do I find therapeutic...uhm actually I like to cook a big meal listening to like old school jazz (I have no idea of who the bands are...just like the mellowness of the music) and then setting a nice table to eat a nice dinner with the lights turned down low. That's one of my fav things but been a while since I've done that...no energy! I like TV too...especially Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, the Borgias, Amazing Race, Housewives of Orange County, etc. Will have to check out the Good Wife...loved ER in the old days too and SATC. Spas are nice too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never underestimate retail therapy. Nor coffee for that matter. Glad that you went maternity clothes shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Hannah! I thought that was your closet! I hope you rock each and every one of those cute tops. Cross border shopping = a happy Siera. I am Gleek too, but Grey's Anatomy is my weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I *love* "The Good Wife" I tivo it religiously. Love the shopping spree too! For me, getting out for a run is my therapy (of course, a therapist when I was in the depths of infertility was also necessary :-) ) So glad you've found so many things that help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have so many therapies - where to start. Starbucks, shopping, reading (new fav book is The Red Tent by Anita Daimant - but do not read it now), spending time with friends, talking about fertility, spending time in nature, and watching TV (the Good wife is awesome)

    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your post! Reading our these blogs is my therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When can we see you in some of this loot?

    Ps - you ever try Breaking Bad?

    ReplyDelete