Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Camera

When A and I got married seven years ago, we were gifted with a So.ny Cyb.ershot digital camera. We have had the same camera ever since. Back when we got it, it was an awesome camera. We took it on our honeymoon and used it when ever the opportunity for pictures has come up, however as with all technology, it is now much out dated, slow and doesn't have the capability of capturing all the spontaneous moments. Needless to say, for years now, my technology snob husband has been dying for a new camera.

A camera to me (as like most technology) is just an item. I am just as happy to use my BB camera or A's i.Phone camera as I am to use a high end SLR - not that I would even know how to use an SLR. But for A, it has been his dream since we started talking about TTC that we would one day get a new camera. When we were still in the honeymoon of trying to start our family, I allowed us to have conversations about cameras and other baby related items that we may need, but as the treatments kept failing, the years kept passing and the devastation kept building, the word camera would literally send me over the edge.

Camera became the blanket term used to describe our dreams of family. When A brought up the idea of getting a new camera, I would find myself enraged because from where I stood, I couldn't ever really picture myself needing a camera. I think it was around the time when we first decided to go to CO for treatment where the word camera was officially banned from our vocabulary. It was just too sore of a subject to be brought up.

This weekend we were once again gifted with a camera. It is a new, fast, SLR camera ready to capture all those precious moments that we have dreamed of for so long. As I watched my husband tear open the box I likened him to how I picture a kid on Christmas morning. Overly excited, emotional and ecstatic. You see, for us, a camera is not just a camera..its what it represents.

34 weeks today and waiting not so patiently to finally meet my beautiful little girl, Little Miss IT.

-R.

6 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see those first shots! Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, especially from you, R. Very big grin on my face right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean! We waited years to get a videocamera, skipping having one on many a great vacation, because we wanted to make sure we had the latest one when our first child arrived. So the Christmas after we adopted our son, our gift to each other was a great videocamera, and it was such a thrill to finally have a baby to follow with it! Yay for your new camera, and even yayer for 34 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That story is so similar to us we have been married for nearly 8 years had our current camera for 7 and are waiting to buy a new one for when our new addition arrives

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome gift!! I hope to see some pics on this blog with the new camera :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel so close to the Mister!!

    Hell no you cannot use your iphone. Listen to yourself. Pft. A digital SLR is like a gift that keeps on giving. Oh, the wonderful shots you will take with it, I get goosebumps thinking of it.

    Money is mega tight in our house. Rocco got one for me last year. He is a loving and frugal man but if I had $1 for every time he said that camera was the best investment we ever made....

    34 is the safety week, right? Welcome to the lovely, lovely milestone. Little Miss sit healthy and comfortable, ok?

    ReplyDelete