Friday, January 21, 2011

The Telling - Part 1

Yesterday A. and I went to see SJ. I brought A. along for the visit because I really need him to understand how scared and reserved I am with all of this. He is characteristically optimistic - almost to a fault, and this terrifies me as well. SJ was amazing (as usual). She really helped A. see where I was coming from and I think he gets it. It took a while, a lot of explaining and rephrasing, but in the end he got it. We left her office feeling excited to share our news with our immediate families.

When we first decided to start a family, I imagined how I would tell my parents the news. It was going to be this magical moment where we just shocked and surprised everyone. Over the last four years, that dream disappeared. My parents have been a part of this every step of the way (they even waited in the waiting for all my local retrievals) so to think that my dream was becoming my reality is amazing. I couldn't bring myself to say the words so A. did. Of course he did it in a cute, funny way, but the expression and look on my mom's face was priceless. She was in some major shock. My brother was also super excited and overwhelmed. It was a really great night.

Tonight we told A.'s family. His mom broke into instant tears and his dad needed to hear the words a few times before it registered. My SIL and BIL were also there and very excited for us. It was very special.

I will say this - I am SO not ready to have pregnancy talk. Tonight, questions were flying and I had no answers. Do I have an OB? No. How long will I need to be monitored? I don't know. What does my RE think about such and such? I don't know. I also don't really care. In fact, I was feeling rather uncomfortable with all the pregnancy related talk - even though it was about me.

At the end of the night, I told A. that I was relieved that the 'telling part' was over for now we don't have to talk about it. I don't allow myself to think about these things as I still feel that if I get too comfortable the other shoe will drop. He got that.

In other news, I think our transfer date is set for March! This gives me time to get my ducks in a row and get my head around all the implications. A. and I are still not 100% convinced of what to do, but we whatever happens, we will make the decision together and be on the same page.

-R.

7 comments:

  1. Awesome R!!! This is great news on all fronts!! Good luck on your decision with regard to a GC...I think you are getting close to make the final decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharing news like that--in a way you actually used to dream about but then never ever imagined would become a reality--is just incredible! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so behind - there are so many things i should have done by this stage that i cannot bring myself to do yet. but i tell myself there is no rush.

    so, if you'd rather not talk about your pregnancy yet, then just tell people that when you tell them. hopefully in time it will get easier.

    thinking of you R x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand how you feel and am glad A went with you to understand. He reminds me of my mother that gets so excited when you and I want to stay in reality land and be prepared. Every time my mother acts too excited, I tell her she needs to calm down otherwise I will feel bad for telling her in the first place. I talked it over with my psychologist who totally understands and I told my mother she can tell people on her birthday in March when the twins will be viable.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only imagine how overwhelming it is to have all those questions asked at an already stressful and overwhelming time! It's great that they are all so happy for you guys and hopefully that also means supportive. I'm so happy for you and A. You deserve all this to work out and be a calm wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is coming up R, winning over and over again.

    We never have answers to way too many questions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so great to hear that you have succeeded! Good luck with your pregnancy and have fun talking the talk!

    ReplyDelete