Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Letting Go

Tonight I was treated to an 'all for me' acupuncture session. Let me start off by saying that I HATE acupuncture. It's the needles that bother me. In fact, I only do it because the doctors tell me that it has been proven to increase blood flow and help with implantation. So, I go biweekly to get stuck with needles. Usually, I can't stand it. Luckily for me, I really like my acupuncturist and she entertains me with stories of her life while the needles prick my skin. Tonight was a special treatment. We abandoned those "fertility" points and focused on me. It was so interesting because for the first time, I was able to see how acupuncture works. One point (I'm sorry I don't remember which, lungs maybe?) is meant to take away sadness. I was tearing up almost instantly from when the needle went in. It was amazing. If I was alone in that room, I would have bawled my eyes out, but I contained my emotions and just tried to relax and focus on why I was there. When it was time for the needles to come out, I felt a sense of calm come over me. Being able to let go of my resentment and sadness was a much needed step. For once, I am thankful for the needles.

-R.

1 comment:

  1. I am not a huge fan of needles either but have become used to it over the years. I went through 3 acupuncturists before I finally found one that I was comfortable working with so it really depends on the practitioner as well so it's good you like your practitioner so much. I'm glad that you felt relief and calm after your treatment - you have to take those moments when they come.

    ReplyDelete