Monday, January 25, 2010

On Being a Cynic

On the final taping of his Tonight Show, Conan O'Brian made a plea to the world, specifically the 'younger generation' to not be cynical. Conan has obviously not experienced infertility.

I never would have thought of myself as a cynic. I prided myself on looking at the glass half-full, however the past three years have changed me. I am now a cynic. I have cynical thoughts running through my head daily. I see a pregnant teenager and negative thoughts magically appear in my head. I think, "why her and not me?". I see an older lady who is pregnant and I instantly think how unfair it is. I think about the Duggars and their many many children and I get enraged. Yes, I am cynical.

Now, I do not think that Conan was talking about this. In fact, I am sure he was referring to his professional situation with NBC, however it did make me realize how I have started seeing the world. I look at life with pregnancy blinders on. All I see are bellies, babies and bugaboos. I just want to join that group already. Will it ever be my turn? I often think of myself as a good person: I work with children with Learning Disabilities, I volunteer my time, I am good wife, daughter, sister and friend, but yet I think, maybe I need to do more so that I can be rewarded with the gift I so desperately want. But what?

It is so hard to not be cynical when the world seems to pass you by while others are enjoying the ride. I HATE that my infertility has turned me into this person. I am trying to think positively. I am trying to pick myself up off the floor each and every day, however, it is very difficult. I am cynical, but I am trying to change.

-R.

2 comments:

  1. I remember feeling bitter/cynical all the time and I was so angry at the world. It's part of IF - I don't know how you can not have those feelings. I remember at the lowest point of my cynicism I would actually glare and glare hard at pregnant women and women with babies...totally jealous of course and wondering too when it would be, if would ever be, my turn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss Conan, dont you?

    I am snooping around learning your history that influenced this nutty antihistamine protocol.

    ReplyDelete