Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Gemology

In my desperate attempts to control elements of my fertility I have become a bit of a gemologist. When I reflect on how far I have come in terms of accepting other forms of help aside from Western medicine, I do a double take. I do not know where the skeptical, science based person has gone. I almost do not recognize myself. This is one of the things infertility has done to me.

There is a beautiful atelier in the front house of where I get acupuncture. The designer is fantastic and her work with gemstones is incredible. She has a book on display about the different stones and their properties. I find myself flipping through the pages on a regular basis while I am waiting for an appointment.

Here are the stones that I have read about:

1. Moonstone-"Moonstone has also been used for centuries as a fertility stone. It is still considered a fertility stone in Arabia, Yemen, the Maghreb and Sicily. It is sewn into the hem of women's garments to promote fertility. It has a strong regulating influence on the feminine cycle and has been used to relieve PMS and menopausal symptoms. Its strong hormonal balancing properties also make it an attractive stone for fertility and it has been used to ensure an easy pregnancy and delivery".

2. Smoky Quartz-"Smoky Quartz is said to alleviate stress and transform fear, anger and other negative emotions into positive energies, thus having a comforting and calming effect. It is also said to provide clarity of thought, improve intuition and enhance survival instincts, and to stimulate higher awareness in meditative states. Smoky quartz is said to increase fertility, to help remove toxins from the body, and to aid the proper functioning of the kidneys, adrenals, pancreas and sex organs."

3. Rose Quartz-"Rose quartz is said to balance the emotions, thus giving inner peace and harmony, and to enhance one's sensitivity to beauty, art and music. It is also said to calm aggression and resentment while increasing self-esteem and self-confidence, and to enhance one's compassion, patience and forgiveness. It is said to enhance your capacity to love others and yourself."

Rose quartz is said to help treat depression and to assist in weight loss. It is said to give a clear soft complexion and to prevent wrinkles. Rose quartz is also said to aid the proper functioning of the kidneys, adrenals, genitals, liver, lungs and heart, and to increase fertility and protect against radiation.


My reading about moonstone is what triggered this love of stones. I immediately needed to have something to wear. I worked with the designer and we created a special necklace. It encompasses many of the elements of our journey to become a family from the 2 large independent stones (A. and myself) and the dream catcher (nest of our children) to the clasp (man and woman) it really is quite perfect. Not only do I love the necklace, but I love the compliments I get wearing it as well as the feeling it gives me knowing the hidden meaning behind the piece.



When I purchased the necklace, she gave me five small loose moonstones to keep with me at all times. I decided to string them on a simple wire and wear them as a bracelet. This is where her, “New Beginnings” line of bracelets came from. I have worn my bracelet consistently every day for 8 months, until I noticed that one of the stones cracked. I showed her the stone and she told me that if a stone cracks, it means you do not need it anymore; it has fulfilled its purpose. I so hope that is true. Me, being an extremely superstitious person, wanted to continue wearing the bracelet. We decided to change the properties and create a new karma so instead of five moonstones; we did three moonstones with two rose quartz on the ends.

I continued to wear both the bracelet and necklace, but wanted to find other stones that would have similar properties as well. This is how our third piece was created. Again, we sat and read about the different stones and created another beautiful necklace this time incorporating both smoky and rose quartz.




As I wear each necklace I am grateful for not only the beautiful pieces that I have, but also the wonderful women I have met along my journey. Without them cheering me on every step of the way, I am not sure if I would still be standing. Every time I wear one of my special pieces, I remember what they represent and can’t wait to one day share their story with my children.

-R.

1 comment:

  1. They're so beautiful and such a beautiful story. I am getting so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete