Wednesday, June 16, 2010

3 Generations

I spent the afternoon with my father and grandfather. My grandfather is an amazing man. He is 82 years old, and still has his brains. So much so, that he contiunes to work (not full time of course, but enough). He is a brilliant business man who dealt in hardware for many years. I have learned a lot of important life skills from him over the years. For the last couple of years, I have been teaching how to use the Internet. He is pretty good at the basics, but doesn't like to practice much so he forgets a lot of the skills.

Over the last few years, his health has been deteriorating. He presents with sympotms of Parkinson's Disease, however a formal diagnosis has not been made; and he has difficulty walking so he uses a scooter or walker to get around. This for him has been the biggest battle. He is an extremely slow mover so it can take upwards of ten minutes to walk ten steps. It can be difficult.

Needless to say, he is a fighter. He is not giving up or letting old age, get in the way of his fun. Today was no exception. We met for lunch a nice restaurant in the mall. We sat and talked and laughed while we eat. (I had a mini roasted red pepper pizza with a side green salad - yum-o.) After lunch my dad told us he would like to do some shopping. He is not much of a shopper and his clothes can be outdated at times (who wears tapered jeans...my dad), so I was more than excited to help out. The three of us went to Ban.ana Re.public and had a ball. It was like the scene out of Pre.tty Wom.an. We had a great time helping my dad choose outfits. (I guess you know you're a shopoholic when you enjoy shopping for others as well as yourself.)

It was a really great day.

***

Yesterday's post, I wrote about "telling" people. I plan on waiting at least twelve weeks before telling people, but may tell my close friends sooner (I would tell them if something bad happened as well). Sorry if that was confusing, and thank you for your support and advice as always.

***

Symptoms: nauseau is back, not enough to throw up, but wishing I could! (Still tired with sore boobs.) And I am not sure if this is a symptom or not, but when I sat in car I peed myself a little (I hope from pressure, not really sure, has this happened to anyone...please?).

-R.

1 comment: