Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Denver Day 1

Yesterday seems like a blur. I still can’t wrap my head around the events, but here I am, sitting on a plane. My alarm was set for 5:25 am , but of course, I was already awake. I quickly jumped out of bed, got ready and my father was at my door at 5:50 am. Once at the airport, we had to go through US Customs before we boarded the flight. I had an unusual conversation with the agent (CA):

CA: Are you two related?
Me: Yes, he is my father.
CA: What is the purpose of your trip?
Me: Medical
CA: What’s wrong with you?
Me: I can’t have a baby.
CA: Is this what I am to expect with Obama’s new health reform?
Me: This is where my doctor is.
CA: Are there no doctors in Canada? Do you not want to wait to see one?
Me: Been there and done that…four times.

The conversation goes on further where we explain the process of IVF to him! After we got through with Customs, I went to the security check. I wasn’t even questions. I had all my meds and injections with syringes. Figures.

I don’t have to tell you how nervous I was as we approached the familiar office. I knew the drill, go over to the reception desk, fill out a paper, hand it to the receptionist and wait. I remember a year ago when I was new to this clinic and how out of place I felt…that seems like forever ago.

Back to the story…

As I wait for the ultrasonagrapher to come scan me, I feel like my heart is literally jumping out of my skin. Luckily, she didn’t take too long and she explained everything she was doing at the time (unlike my local clinic who tells you nothing). So, I learned that my ovaries are good, I have good blood flow (thank you acupuncture and Viagra) and my lining measured at 6.5 mm with no fluid. As of today, I am still on my plan to transfer, but it will really come down to what the doctor has to say tomorrow. I am having a thirty minute discussion with him tomorrow to go over all possible scenarios. I’m not sure how I feel about all this. I’m still confused and not quite sure what I believe, but I am trying to remain hopeful.

After the clinic, my dad and I went for an afternoon adventure. We went to the Denver Museum of Nature and History and saw the “Body Works” exhibit. It was awesome. It’s on until the middle of July so if you are in the area, check it out.

I’m exhausted both mentally and physically so I am going to take a nap.


  1. Glad to hear you made it safe to Denver. UGH on the Customs agent! I am glad the tech was able to clearly see what was going on. Good Luck tomorrow with the Dr. Hope you have some clarity soon, this limbo stuff is he**! Thinking of you.

  2. Glad to hear that you are safe and sound in Denver. Can't wait to hear how the 30-min discussion with the doc goes tomorrow. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

  3. I'm so glad you are actually in Denver, where you can get some real answers and finally make a decision. I hope you are able to get some good answers from the doctor. Good luck and keep us posted!