Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Transfer Day!!!

Part 1:

I can't believe today is finally here. I think I slept better last night although I am still pretty anxious, nervous and excited. I got the call from the embryology lab around 8:30 am asking what my plan for thaw was. I said that I wanted to transfer two embryos and they were going to choose the best ones. They also said that if one doesn't thaw, they will keep thawing until we have two embryos. (I don't remember this part of the conversation from my last transfer - maybe because I only three and we thawed them all).

A. and I went for breakfast this morning. I needed to get out of the hotel and get my head in the game. We went to the Original Pancake House in Greenwood. We both had normal breakfasts. I made sure to have eggs though.

A. wrote this email to me the day he gave his sample:

I had a big healthy American Breakfast (with a theme)

Eggs - for the egg donor
Sausage - cuz I want our kid to like pork products (when they're old enough to make their own decision)*
Home Fried Potatos - cuz potatos are from the ground and I want our kid to be down to earth
Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal - cuz I want our kid to be sweet
Cranberry Juice - cuz It's good for the bladder...geesh, can't I be a little selfish?


*I keep kosher which means I do not eat pork products and our child/ren will also not eat this, but A. LOVES all things pork!

Isn't he the sweetest?!

We then headed back to the hotel where I needed to get me some pineapple. Yes, I have turn into a lunatic. The hotel has been amazing. The woman at the front desk, didn't even flinch when I asked for some core, instead she gave me an entire pineapple to take back to the room! A. cut it up for me and I will snack on it throughout the next two days.

Part 2:




We arrived at the clinic at 12:30 pm. I needed to have blood drawn and also to sign (or resign) some consent forms. Afterwards they brought A. and I upstairs. I was a given a 'suite' at the end of the hall where I undressed, put on my transfer socks and got on the bed. I was given a heated blanket, but I wasn't cold (must be the huge amounts of estrogen in my body).


The first nurse came in to check my vitals. My blood pressure was high (145/95), but this normal for me. I have white coat syndrome and my pressure literally skyrockets when I'm in a doctor's office. The nurse seemed ok with my explanation.

Then I had the first round of acupuncture. The points are to help with implantation so I felt good about doing it. The points in the ears hurt a it, but the rest wasn't so bad. I manged to calm myself down...enough.

The embryologist was the next hurdle to pass. We had two day 5 4AA blasts that were thawed. One was 100% and the other at 98% and both were re expanding. Yay! Also, one of them was starting to hatch, so that was so cool to see.

Here are my embryos, don't you think they are the most perfect ones in the world? (I can say this without being conceded as I had no part in creating them!)


I had then had around forty five minutes to fill my bladder and pump myself up. I brought my iPod and listened to the Glee version of "Don't Stop Believing". It worked for the first time, I was ready for this transfer. I was calmer than I had ever been.

The doctor came in and we were ready to go. It was a smooth transfer thankfully. I barely felt anything (I think the Valium had something to do with it). They gave me my first pregnant ultrasound picture as well, so that is going to be my inspiration for the next nine days.

After the transfer, I was a given a bedpan (oooooo, gross) and then had another round of acupuncture. This time I listened to my hypnosis session.

When it was time to leave, I felt great about things. I hope this high lasts for nine months!

Thanks for all your wishes, I could really feel your thoughts.
-R.

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for updating. I've been thinking of you today.

    Let's hope one or both your embryos are currently snuggling in for a long (9 month long) stay. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I'm so glad everything went well! Your hotel is definitely awesome! If they're near the center, they might be use to the core request. :) I grew up following the Jewish dietary laws even though I'm not Jewish. My hubby loves pork products which completely creep me out! lol. Lots of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some GORGEOUS blasts! I hope they stick around for the next 9 months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very very beautiful embabies! So glad to hear that everything went smoothly. Now, "just relax" (haha) and I hope that the next 9 days fly by for you! Prayers are being sent your way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey R and A,

    So glad everything went well. I even said a prayer at 2:30PM today (we're the same time as Denver) as I was thinking of both of you many times throughout the day. Sure hope you'll be the proud parents of twins in 40 weeks!

    Now sleep with your legs crossed!!

    Hugs to you and A

    LisainSK

    ReplyDelete
  6. great news! and BEAUTIFUL embies lucky!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything sounds like it went PERFECTLY! Beautiful embryos indeed--I hope the 2 WW flies by (ha ha) and of course that you are handsomely rewarded for all you have endured to get to this place.
    Don't Stop Believin'!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a perfect transfer! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does look like everything went great and those are beautiful embies. I can even see that one was hatching - that is so great. I am so happy for you and will continue to send you all the best. Oh, and A. is just adorable with his special breakfast. That sounds like something my hubby would do too...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on such a wonderful transfer! A hatching blast is always a good sign so I am hoping that it settles in for a nice 9 month snuggle! Happy 2ww!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful ~ simply wonderful! Sending you and your embies love. Snuggle in babies, snuggle in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YAY!! It went so well! I hope you are relaxing with your pineapple today. Stick, little ones, stick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seriously beautiful embies!! Now get to snuggling in little ones!!!

    ReplyDelete